Visiting the U.S. as Foreign Trainees, Interns, and Researchers

The EVP provides opportunities for foreign (non-U.S.) students, young leaders, entrepreneurs and professionals to hone their skills, strengthen their English language abilities, connect with Americans, and learn more about the United States. Visitors need to apply for a J-1 visa through the Exchange Visitors Program (EVP), to stay for a few weeks up to 18 months.

The Netherlands Chamber of Commerce in the United States assists EVP participants from outside the United States in acquiring a J-1 visa. Participants may teach, study, conduct research, share their specialized skills or receive on-the-job training. In addition, the program includes a cultural component which helps participants engage more broadly with Americans and U.S. culture. Use of the Exchange Visitor Program for regular employment or other work purposes is strictly prohibited.

The Chamber runs an outreach program among Netherlands based Universities and Colleges. It is designed to inform students about the possibilities to expand their networks, explore future opportunities, and stay connected via our Alumni program once they return home. Learn more about The Dutch Student Grant of Excellence; Created in Memory of Kersen J. De Jong, the recipients will receive financial assistance with their J-1 application. For more information and how to enroll click here.


Intern Requirements.

You have to be over 18 years old, and fluent in English. Your internship has to match the study program or course which you are currently enrolled in; it has to be at a foreign degree or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institution outside the United States. You are also welcome to apply if you graduated from such an institution less than 12 months prior to the EVP start date.

Trainees Requirements.

You have to be over 18 years old, and fluent in English. You have to have completed your undergraduate studies in a University or College, and already have worked outside the United States for at least one year in a field related to your pursued training.


Furthermore, the Chamber can also assist applicants who wish to enroll in the Summer Work Travel (SWT) Program, or students who are interested in research, education, youth work or au-pair services.

For more information, or if you wish to start your application process, please register online.